"There's power in me." Quote by Jane Addams
NASW-NC recognizes and stresses the importance of legislative advocacy by professional social workers. The actions of the US Congress and the North Carolina General Assembly often affect the practice of social work and the clients social workers serve.
Policy affects practice and practitioners affect policy.
Who is our Lobbyist?
NASW-NC has a Director of Advocacy, Policy and Legislation who lobbies for NASW-NC members at the NC General Assembly. Our Director of Advocacy, Policy and Legislation, Kay Paksoy, reviews legislation that is introduced each day to assess its possible impact on social workers and our clients, and takes appropriate action. NASW-NC also introduces new legislation. Much of NASW-NC's social policy legislative work is done through coalitions. In what Coalitions is NASW-NC involved?
How NASW-NC Advocates for You and Your Clients:
- As a member benefit, NASW-NC has a full time lobbyist on staff. Kay Paksoy,
- Tracks legislation that is introduced during session that affects the social work profession by speaking with legislators and working with other interested groups and lobbyists
- Regularly attends meetings at the legislative building whether session is meeting or adjourned to stay involved with issues that legislators address
- Attends monthly Coalition meetings to stay on top of issues that affect the profession
- Responds to member calls and emails about issues that are pressing and works to influence policy regarding those concerns
- Staff contact for our Legislative Committee and PACE Committees
Stay informed on what Legislative changes are happening in North Carolina!
NASW-NC has its own Legislative Committee, comprised of volunteer members who are charged with developing NASW-NC's Legislative Agenda . But we also need your help to advocate for your profession and clients.Contact Kay Paksoy with any questions or input on NASW-NC's legislative focus!
NASW-NC also has its own political action committee known as NC-PACE (Political Action for Candidate Election). This committee helps elect candidates to public office who support legislation and policies consistent with the goals of the social work profession and the needs of those who are served by the social work profession in North Carolina.
Get involved with our Coalitions.
Lobby Day and General Assembly Visits
Attend our next NASW-NC Lobby Day. If you'd like to visit and tour the North Carolina General Assembly with our Director of Advocacy, Policy and Legislation, please contact Kay Paksoy
Social Work and Politics in North Carolina - Read about social workers who are state, county and municipal elected officials; lobbyists; and advocates for the social work profession.
Network with other NASW-NC Members
Join NASW-NC Social Media Networks